Ingredients: Serves 2-3 as a side
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- 2 medium zucchini
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced into small cubes
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- small handful mint, basil (or cilantro)
- 2-3 tablespoons capers
- 2-3 tablespoons pine nuts (slivered almonds, or chopped pistachios)
for the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of Pon’s Apple Condiment (sweet vinegar)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat a grill (or grill pan). Drizzle a bit of olive oil on the corn and grill, rotating every 3-4 min to char each side (as best possible, ok if some is still raw-adds to texture). Let cool, then slice kernel off the cobb.
- Meanwhile, whisk your dressing ingredients together, drop the crushed garlic in whole (you’ll remove it later).
- Use a regular vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini into long ribbon-shaped strips. It can also be diced into small cubes, if serving a larger crowd.
- Toss together the corn, zucchini, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, mint (basil, or cilantro), capers, and pine nuts. Remove the garlic clove from your dressing. Drizzle dressing over the veggies & toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. For best flavor, let salad sit for 15-20 minutes, before serving.
NOTES: The salad can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for a bout a day. (Although if storing for more than a few hours, recommend slicing zucchini into thin coin shapes-on a mandolin, instead of ribbons so it stays firm). Also, hold off adding avocado until you’re ready to serve.