- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten free variety available too)
- 3 tablespoons pastry flour or almond flour (or other gluten free variety)
- 1 cup almonds (or walnuts, pecans, pistachios)
- 1 cup dried cherries (or your favorite dried fruits)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey (locally harvested if available)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I like Nielsen-Massey)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Simply Organic makes a good one)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (Himalayan Fine Pink salt can be substituted too)
- 2 tablespoons coconut/extra virgin olive oil-first cold pressed (check label)
COOK: Total time 40-50 min. Serves 4-6.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Toss together oats, flour, & almonds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add liquid mix to the oat mixture, stirring well to coat.
Spread mixture on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, fragrant, and just dry to the touch, 30-40 minutes. Add dried fruit last for better texture. Cooking it with granola makes it hard and chewy. Allow granola mixture to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Recipe compliments of The Magnolia Journal, Issue No. 9